The contribution of the GNCHR as the independent advisory body of the State, to the promotion and protection of human rights, consists, among other things, of the monitoring, on the one hand, of the alignment of national legislation with international obligations and, on the other, of the effective implementation of these obligations in practice. In this context, the GNCHR develops the following actions:
- encourages the ratification of the international human rights instruments,
- contributes to the reports submitted by Greece to the United Nations Bodies and Committees, such as before the Treaty Bodies of the Human Rights Protection Conventions and the Universal Periodic Review mechanism of the Human Rights Council,
- submits "shadow" reports before the abovementioned inspection mechanisms during the process of periodic control of the implementation of the international conventions that bind Greece, and
- maintains communication, provides information, and cooperates with UN Special Rapporteurs and Working Groups visiting Greece in the context of their responsibilities and/or during the preparation of general or special human rights reports concerning Greece.
In particular, the period 2019-2020, the GNCHR:
- submitted to the UN Commission on Enforced Disappearances in June 2020 the Observations on the Initial Report of Greece regarding the implementation of the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance.
- submitted to the UN Commission on the Rights of the Child in January 2020 an Alternative Report regarding the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in Greece.
- met at its premises the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (December 2, 2019). (more information)
- participated in the Conference for the 20th anniversary of the institution of the UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Immigrants (Mexico City, November 12 and 13, 2019).
- participated in the meeting of the UN Working Group regarding human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises (Geneva, 10-11.10.2019). The GNCHR was represented by its Scientific Associate Anna-Irini Baka presenting the role of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) in facilitating access to the handling of human rights violations in businesses.
- submitted to the UN Commission on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in July 2019 a Report concerning the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Greece (for more details see). During the examination of Greece by the competent Committee in the context of the 22nd Session held in Geneva in September 2019, the GNCHR submitted a relevant Declaration.
- submitted to the UN Commission against Torture in June 2019, in response to the List of Issues concerning the Report of Greece, relevant information on the implementation of the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (for more details see). During the examination of Greece by the competent Committee in Geneva in October 2019, the GNCHR was represented by its President Maria Gavouneli.
- met at its premises the UN Working Group on Discrimination against Women in Law and in Practice (April 3, 2019).